Monday, April 14, 2008

Final Reflection

I begin this reflection with a big thanks to Myra. She is the reason this class was such a success and worthwhile. I had no idea she knew so much about Web 2.0. Everyone was a bit apprehensive at the start of this class and now I can safely say that we are all fairly comfortable navigating through all of the gadgets and sites we've learned about.

The next step is trying to work with a few staff members and come up with some ways to incorporate these tools into classroom projects. Learning how to create my own "wiki" was very interesting and I can see how this might benefit teachers with collaboration.

A few of my favorite sites are Flickr, Library Thing, Google Docs. It's amazing to have so much storage for pictures and be able to access them from any computer at any time. Also, Library Thing will come in very handy as I keep track of every book I've ever read and actually remember that I did in fact read it and also see the summary I wrote about it. :) I do tend to forget as time goes by. Google calendar is something that I could use for organizing library events and available time slots, I believe Silver Creek already does this and it works well for them.

As I learned each new "thing" I realized that my job as a media clerk is changing steadily. It's not just about shelving books, checking books out, or finding that right book. It is now shaped around technology and how it can be used to attain information, present projects and collaborate with people around the world. This I would have to say is what was meaningful to me. Seeing how all of these tools shape how we can learn, interact and play was cool.

This PST experience was so overwhelming at first but with each new week I began to feel more at ease. I gained so much experience in such a small amount of time. These classes would benefit more than just media clerks and offering them to all teaching staff would be worthwhile. I'm definitely more at ease when dealing with "techie" staff members and feel I can now have a bit more valuable interaction time with my colleagues.

No comments: