Monday, March 31, 2008

Thing #20 Social Networking

Okay, the verdict is still the same, I'm not crazy about social networking. In the correct setting with the safety rules strictly enforced it could be used in school. Teens are so naive and "out there" that they will post just about anything. I'm trying to be open minded and think about how this could really work.

My daughter asked if she could open a Myspace account. To this date I have said no. The problem comes into play that even if she is safe and follows rules it doesn't mean others will do the same about her space and pics. When I see people my age, married and posting on Myspace I have to ask "why". Are they bored, need some excitement, or just friendly and enjoying being able to visit with people all around the world.

This could probably be used in a class project with the teacher as the facilitator and communicating with people from another country. It would be very cool to see pictures and interact to learn cultures of certain areas.

No comments: